Friday, January 22, 2010

Necessity Becomes Invention


I had a former client call me a few days ago, to see if I still did candywrapping. I was a little hesitant to say yes because I promised myself I would go head-long into absolutely everything again, at least not right away :)

The reason for her call was that she will be hosting an Opening Ceremonies event for the first day of the Olympics and she wanted to give an item that could be personalized, but within her budget. You see, there will be about 1,200 people at this event being held at a large hall.

As she was always a great (and lucrative) customer for me, I decided I couldn't let her down. Now, designing and creating a new wrapper for her wouldn't be a problem. But she was after something new and different. After all, this is not only the Olympics, but the Canadian Olympics!

So, necessity became invention. I decided to create something for her that would be different than a regular wrapper, add some dimension to her gift.

I kept thinking of those bar sleeves that some people use, to make their wrappers into some sort of card, but to put them together gets sort of fiddly, if you know what I mean. I tried one and it took twice as long to put together than just wrapping a bar and with 1,200 to do, I said "forget it".

That's when I thought of the new scarf I received for Christmas. It came in a pillow box and I wondered if I could modify the design a bit to fit a chocolate bar or individually wrapped candies. I did some measuring, designing, printing, testing, etc. and came up with my Pillow Box Sets.

The sets have a large box, which is actually about half the size of the pillow box my scarf came in, a small box, that fits a Hershey's mini perfectly and I added a wrapper (just for old times sake) for a nugget or bite size chocolate.

My idea was that to wrap the nugget or bite size chocolate, put a mini in the small pillow box and put them all in the larger pillow box. There's her gift for her guests.  I've uploaded the small, mini pillow box here for Canada and the US, so you can see what I mean.  Feel free to click on them and save to use.

She stopped by yesterday to take a look at what I created. Mainly because I found it hard to actually describe it to her. She loved it and gave me the green light to go ahead. She even offered for me to bring them to her committee meeting this weekend and she'll put a team together for me to show them what to do and let them finish them off. I told you she was a great customer!

I think they turned out great! The only problem now is that my mind can't stop thinking of the possibilities for designs and I just keep going and going and going with ideas. My husband had to come and tell me to get to bed last night, cause I just couldn't stop designing :)

I have the design for Canada, so I decided to make one for the US as well. If you want a set, just give me a shout and I will send it to you. If there is anyone here from a country other than those two, just let me know and I will create one just for you.

And now, it's Friday, so have a great weekend everyone and enjoy this unusually warm January we're having.

2 comments: