Monday, January 11, 2010

Productive Downtime

For many people in small business, productive downtime means that your business or system is working for you when you are away; or that when there is a slow time for your business, you're still working on marketing strategies, your website updates or product development.

For me, productive downtime means the time I spent on me.  It is downtime because I'm not thinking about the business at all and it is productive because I'm looking after and doing things for myself.

I never used to give myself downtime, except maybe a few hours of sleep and I just kept going and going and going.....  But, that was one of my downfalls.  It left me mentally and physically tired, which led to my body not being able to look after itself and giving up on me so to speak.

I cannot stress enough that it is extremely crucial that you give yourself some productive downtime each and every month.  Your mind and body NEED to be nurtured and given time to recover from stress, overly active thought processes, daily grind and responsibilities.

This past weekend, my productive downtime was spent taking my best friend, her daughter and mine to Niagara Falls for a spa day together.  We stayed in a Marriott hotel right at the brink of the falls.  It was just what we all needed to recharged our batteries and friendships.  There was lots of chatting, giggling, hugs and a great feeling of warm and closeness.

Now, you don't need to actually go anywhere.  You can create your own productive downtime with something different, easy and inexpensive at the beginning of each month.  Just one day is all it takes.  Productive Downtime works best when shared with someone close to you, because I find doing it alone makes is so much easier to abandon your plan and go back to working.  Plus the relaxed interaction between 2 or more people is what adds to the whole atmosphere of being totally away from the normal day.

Here's some ideas to do with your girlfriends (or husband if you prefer):
  1. Get some snacks and have a Saturday movie marathon with a specific theme.
  2. Make your own spa in your bathroom with bathsalts, sit on chairs at the side of the tub, soak your feet, some soft music and chat.  When your feet are finished soaking, move to the bedroom and do your nails together.  Finish off with facials while your toes are drying.
  3. Set the diningroom table with a fancy tableclothe, good dishes, silver and wine glasses.  Then order chinese or other favourite take out and you and the girls enjoy a "fancy" dinner that you didn't need to cook.
  4. Make up your own roadtrip.  You can just wander wherever the road takes you, or start the day with a map, a direction and any small town anyone wants to explore.
Remember, it's just one day each month, but it's sooo important to make sure that you give yourself your Productive Downtime.  If your life is so hectic that you think you'll find it hard to find the time to do it each month, then treat it like you would any other dr or dentist appointment and put it in your schedule.  I find that part of enjoying my productive downtime all of us looking forward to that day each month.

I'm sure you can come up with some great ideas as well.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment